To find the best cruise lines for kids, all the top ones, from Disney cruises to Carnival cruises and all the others have had to make a concerted effort to cater to children. The market for cruising keeping the whole family in mind is huge, and Disney, Carnival, Princess Cruises, and Royal Caribbean have all built much of their marketing around programs to cater to cruise lines for kids. So let us explore what some of the differences are, and obviously it will come down to personal preference, but that should be knowledge-based.
So here is how we would rank the best cruise lines for kids, just based on personal amenities and not factoring in costs:
1. Disney Cruises. Not just because we are Disney people, we think there is more for children than the others. This is not surprising, as Disney has built its reputation and experience around kids; it has developed its concept to make it a cruise line for kids-friendly experience. A few things it can provide that are exclusive Disney are its character breakfasts and parades with many of the Disney characters, plus Castaway Cay, its own private island in the Caribbean that their cruise ship stops at. There the whole family can swim, snorkel and boat on the Castaway Family Beach. Prices for Disney cruises will tend to be somewhat higher.
2. Carnival Cruises. It doesn’t match Disney with the identifiable characters and Disney ambiance, but it would rank with older children. Rock climbing walls, miniature golf, basketball courts, and teen discos are among the amenities of these floating cities that are Carnival cruises. Also, they are the only cruise line that lets kids age 12 to 17 take part in shore excursions as separate groups.
3. Norwegian Cruises. In 2010 Norwegian cruises announced a partnership with Nickelodeon, therefore making it a player as a cruise line for kids. Norwegian’s Kids’ Crew program will bring the Nick-themed elements into their entertainment package, with an added element for older kids being the Epic Plunge, a three story water slide, the only one of its kind at sea.
4. Princess Cruises. Always having a reputation as being family friendly, although not to the standards of Disney as one of the cruise lines for kids, Princess cruises offers a wonderful children’s program. Some people have shown a preference for it simply because it is not totally packed with kids, offering more attention to the individual than some of the others.
5. Royal Caribbean Cruises. Teaming with Shrek and DreamWorks Animation, you will find royal Caribbean to have a bit more of a movie theme to its entertainment. Movie-themed games and DreamWorks Animation movies in 3D are part of the entertainment available on Royal Caribbean cruises.
As you can see, when deciding which are the best cruise lines for kids, a lot has to do with what you are looking for, as Disney, Carnival, Princess cruises and the rest have their special niche